Juki is considered one of the best sewing machine companies around today. The Juki MO654DE Portable Thread Serger Sewing Machine is a mid price range basic serger.
Table of Content
Juki MO654DE Portable Thread Serger Sewing Machine For All Your Sewing Needs
This Juki portable thread sewing machine is fairly quiet for a serger, small footprint and is solid and sturdy even though it’s a smaller machine.
Features of this serger include:
- 2/3/4 thread serger with automatic rolled hem
- Color coded threading
- Breakaway looper
- External adjustment for stitch length and differential feed
- Powerful knife system with dedicated drive mechanism
- Sews light to heavy weight fabric
- Safety switch does not allow machine to run when swing cover is open
- Measures 10.6” X 13.6” X 11.6”
- Comes with multipurpose foot
- Optional presser feet available for additional stitches such as cording, blind stitching, piping and gathering
This Juki serger is well built portable serger that appears to have the right features for all the basic serging stitching.
It’s great for beginners and as you gain experience you can purchase optional presser feet to help provide you with more versatile serging options.
The Juki MO654DE gets extremely good reviews and ratings from users who find this machine meets their basic serging needs beautifully.
The most common complaints about this serger were that it comes with poor instructions and that there is no remnant bin to put your scraps of cloth in.
However, the benefits far outweigh these two very small issues and include:
- Extremely Stable – Unlike many portable sergers that seem to rock or even walk slightly when serging at a rapid speed, this machine seems to stay in one place and is incredibly stable even when running at top stitch speed.
- Fairly Easy to Thread – While several users did state that threading was difficult the first couple of times they threaded this machine, they also stated that with a little bit of practice, threading it is actually fairly easy.
- Handles Various Types and Thickness of Fabrics Well – Users state that this serger can sew everything from light weight chiffon to heavier blanket material with ease. The adjustable stitch length is perfect for making different style professional looking stitches.
Users do say that the DVD and instruction book that come with this Juki serger do not show users all the different types of stitches they can achieve with this machine.
However, they do recommend that you invest a little extra money in a good serging book that will show you how to adjust the stitch length to create different stitches.
You can also find “How To” videos on the internet that may help you get the most out of this machine as well.
Other Serger Sewing Machines to Consider
SINGER | ProFinish 14CG754 Serger 2-3-4 Thread Capability Overlock with Blind Hem, Rolled Hems and FlatlockingBrother Designio Series DZ1234 SergerBrother Serger, 2340CV, Cover Stitch, Advanced Serger, Color-Coded Threading Guide, Dial Adjustment for Stitch Length, Presser Foot Pressure Adjustment