Small children are fascinated with ride on toys and the idea of being able to propel themselves from one place to another. Finding the best tricycle for toddlers can be fun!
Tricycles are a great way to introduce your toddler to the world of ride on self propulsion.
Choosing the best tricycle for toddlers can be quite daunting because of the enormous number of different tricycles on the market today.
So, to help make choosing a trike for your child easier, here is a look at some of the Best Tricycles for toddlers.
Table of Content
- 1 Best Tricycle For Toddlers to Learn How to Ride
Best Tricycle For Toddlers to Learn How to Ride
Radio Flyer 4-in-1 Trike
From the time that the first Radio Flyer wagon first came on the market, radio flyer has been a name associated with childhood fun, and this Radio Flyer 4-in-1 Trike is the perfect trike for your child to transition from that infant in a stroller to an independent toddler peddling their own trike down the sidewalk.
Features of this trike include:
- A handy removable wrap around tray
- 3 point harness to keep infants safe when riding on the trike
- Adjustable seat that grows with the child
- Pedals double as a foot rest (don’t lock)
- Sunshade for those hot days
- Weight capacity is about 49 pounds
The Radio Flyer 4-in-1 trike looks great with its bold red and white coloring.
This trike easily converts from a stroller complete with snack tray, to a tricycle your child will have a great time learning to ride.
Reviews and ratings for this trike are good, with most parents feeling this tricycle performs well as both a stroller and a tricycle.
However, some parents do state that when used for a stroller, their child’s feet just dangle (too small to reach the pedals).
However when it comes to being used as a trike, parents are thrilled with this Radio Flyer.
Benefits of this 4-in-1 trike include:
- Solid Build – This is not a cheaply made trike. It is solidly built and sturdy enough to take just about any amount of abuse that a toddler can dish out.
- Parent Handle is Great – Parents really like the parent handle and state it makes it easy to steer the trike before their child gets the hang of riding on their own.
- Sunshade – Parents also like the sunshade that comes with this trike, especially since several parents stated that their child did not want to get off of it.
Fisher Price Bright Beginnings Ready Steady Trike
Fisher Price is a name that is associated with childhood and this bright colored Fisher Price Bright Beginnings Ready Steady Trike makes it easy to see why children like this company’s toys.
Features of this trike include:
- Narrow wheel base in back increases stability
- Easy straddle seat makes getting on and off this trike easy
- Easy grip handle bars for better controlled steering
- Spinning roller drum and colorful rattling beads add a touch of interest for young children.
- No pedals, child pushes with feet.
While this is built to look like a tricycle, it really isn’t one in the conventional sense of the word, as the child uses their feet to propel the trike as there are no pedals.
This is more a ride on toy, than an actual trike.
This Fisher Price toddler trike gets good reviews and ratings with most parents feeling that this is a worthwhile purchase.
A few parents do state that this bike can flip over if a child puts too much on the handlebars, but the truth is that most ride on toys can flip in given situations.
Benefits that most parents experience include:
- Very Stable – While this trike isn’t tip proof, parents do feel it is far more stable than many other ride on toys.
- Easy to Get On – The narrow back wheels and the longer thinner seat make this trike easy for toddlers to get on and off of all on their own.
- Colorful – This brightly colored trike is especially eye catching to young children, who love riding it from morning till night.
Thomas the Train Tough Trike
The Thomas the Train Trike is a colorful trike made in the same colors as Thomas the Tank Engine.
Features of this trike include:
- Thomas and Friends Styling
- Wide stable wheel base for more stability
- Easy grip handlebars
- Big foot pedals
- Comfort ride seat with Secret storage compartment
- Durable tires
- Designed for children 2 to 5 years
While this Thomas the train trike is designed for children as young as two years old, most two year olds will have some difficulty reaching the pedals.
However, many smaller children use their feet to push themselves along on this trike until they can use it properly.
Over all, parents give this tricycle extremely good ratings and reviews, with their only complaints being that the wheels of this trike slip somewhat on smoother surfaces and that the pedals are hard to reach for some children.
However overall, parents and children really like this tricycle and find the following benefits:
- Durable – Despite being mostly plastic, this trike holds up extremely well.
- Light Weight – It is extremely lightweight, making it easy for the child to lift and turn if the need arises.
- Easy Assembly – Parents find this trike incredibly easy to assemble.
Schwinn Easy Steer Tricycle Red/White
Schwinn has been making bicycles for generations, so it is not surprising to discover they also make popular tricycles for toddlers.
The Schwinn Easy Steer Tricycle is a boldly colored yet gender neutral red and white trike that functions both as a stroller and as a first tricycle.
Features of this tricycle include:
- Heavy duty frame with steering system
- Removable push/steer parent handle
- Wide EVA tires
- Gravity lock dump bin
- High back saddle
- 3 point seat belt
- Front basket
- Retractable foot rest
- Ages 2 to 4
This Schwinn tricycle is perfect for the child just learning to ride a trike.
The parent handle allows parents to walk behind the trike and control the direction and the speed of the tricycle until the toddler gets the hang of pedaling and steering for themselves.
The seat belt and retractable foot rest allow this tricycle to be used as a stroller as well as a trike.
Reviews and ratings for this Schwinn Trike are good.
While some users do see a problem that this trike is made in China, the only real complaints about this tricycle is that the seat belt is somewhat cheaply made, and some people find the trike to be noisy.
However, over all, most people feel that this trike is a good value and find the following benefits when their child uses it:
- Easy Assembly – Parents find this trike easy to assemble, although they do state that the wheels are a tight fit and really need to be hammered on well.
- 2 Seat Level Height – Parents also like the fact that Schwinn left two different holes to place the seat, allowing them to set the seat height to better coordinate with the height of their child.
- Parent Handle – Parents also like the long parent handle that makes steering this trike by an adult simple and easy.
Tricycles are such a fun part of a toddler’s life, that finding the right trike for your toddler is the goal of many parents. Hopefully, this review will help to make the choice easier.
Don’t forget these bicycle safety tips!
More Tricycles for Toddlers to Consider