A child’s fever is something all parents worry about, and when that child is a toddler and fights you when you try to take their temperature that worry can become even more stressful. Finding the best thermometer for toddlers means finding that one that is not only accurate, but one that your child won’t fight using when they need their temperature taken.
Before we take a look at the best available thermometers for toddlers, do keep in mind, that when you purchase a new thermometer you should immediately take your child’s temperature at two or three different times when they are well to get a base reading as not everyone has a perfect body temperature of 98.6.
This also lets you know before the need actually arises just how accurate your new thermometer may be.
Now that you know how to check that new thermometer for accuracy, let’s have a look at some of the best thermometers for toddlers.
Table of Content
- 1 Best Thermometer for Toddlers When They Have a Fever
- 1.1 Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer with ExacTemp Technology, IRT4520USSM
- 1.2 Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer Model #TAT-2000C
- 1.3 2-in-1 Professional Clinical RY230 Large LCD Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer – Forehead and Surface
- 1.4 More Thermometers for your Toddler
Best Thermometer for Toddlers When They Have a Fever
Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer with ExacTemp Technology, IRT4520USSM
Ear thermometers often work well for toddlers because they can record your child’s temperature in mirror seconds and far less uncomfortable for your child than a rectal thermometer.
It also doesn’t require your child to patiently sit still like an oral thermometer does.
The Braun Thermoscan Thermometer is a good alternative to those old fashioned thermometers and has the following features:
- Professional accuracy- a flashing light and beep confirm the position
- On/Off button and memory that stores the last 8 readings
- Soft flexible soft tip filter detector
- Lens filter ejector for easy removal
- Includes two AA batteries and 21 lens cap filters
While this Braun Thermoscan ear thermometer has all the right features to take accurate temperature, you need to remember that ear thermometers are not the best choice for children who have frequent ear infections.
If ear infections are not a problem for your child, this thermometer should do an excellent job of recording temperature.
Users rate this thermometer extremely high, and feel that it makes taking their toddler’s temperature simple and easy.
While some users feel that this thermometer is somewhat pricey, most users feel that it is well worth the price as it gives them peace of mind.
Features users feel are beneficial include:
- Easy to Use – Users find that this thermometer is very user friendly, and that most children don’t seem to mind having their temperature taken using this thermometer. If your child is likely to put up fuss, users recommend allowing your child to take your temperature when you first buy this thermometer and then taking theirs so they will see this thermometer in a friendly light.
- Accurate – Users find this thermometer to be extremely accurate and are reassured by the fact that many clinics and hospitals use this type of thermometer for children.
Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer Model #TAT-2000C
Temporal thermometers record temperature by simply stroking the thermometer over the forehead and by the temple.
The Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer makes short work of taking your toddler’s temperature and has the following features:
- Silver Ion antimicrobial head destroys bacteria, mold, mildew and fungi
- A gentle stroke of forehead captures temperature
- Arterial heat balance computes correct temperature
- Red LED lights and soft beep that indicates correct scan
This Temporal Artery Thermometer is great way to take the temperature of toddlers who are subject to ear infections, which make the use of an ear thermometer not advisable.
This thermometer is also excellent for sleeping children.
This thermometer gets good ratings and reviews.
While some users do feel that it takes some practice to use this thermometer correctly, most users really like the way it performs and find it has the following benefits:
- Works Well – Users find that once you get used to this thermometer it works well, giving accurate temperature time after time.
- Quick to Take Temperature – Users also like the fact that it takes their squirming child’s temperature very quickly, and they don’t have to worry about their child suddenly jerking and hurting their ear, mouth or rectum as they do with ear, and regular thermometers.
- Can Take Your Child’s Temperature without Waking Them Up – Users also like the fact, that when their child is sick and sleeping, they can take their child’s temperature with worrying about waking them up.
2-in-1 Professional Clinical RY230 Large LCD Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer – Forehead and Surface
For those of you who love the latest technological advances, the 2-in-1 Professional Clinical RY230 Large LCD Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer may just be ideal.
Features of this thermometer include:
- Adjustable auto alarm for high temperature
- Memory of last 32 readings
- Low energy consumption
- Uses 2-AA batteries
- Can take 100,000 readings on a single set of batteries
- LCD screen is backlit for reading even in darkness
- Converts external readings into internal temperature
When using this thermometer you need to leave it out in the room, so that it can adjust to the room temperature before taking the temperature of the feverish person.
Make sure that you read and understand the directions of use and practice using this thermometer prior to actually needing it.
Reviews and ratings for this Clinical Infrared Thermometer are good, although users do say it does take some practice to be able to use it correctly.
Benefits users find when using this thermometer include:
- Used Correctly this Thermometer is Accurate – Users are impressed with the accuracy of this thermometer once they learn how to use it. They also like the fact that it can be used on sleeping toddlers without waking them up.
- Speedy Temperature Check – Users like the fact that this thermometer gives accurate results quickly.
Finding the right thermometer to take your toddler’s temperature easily will allow you to help protect your child’s health while reducing some of the stress of having a sick child you are worried about.
Not only do you want to keep your kids healthy, but you want to keep them safe as well. These bicycle tips are perfect for just that!
More Thermometers for your Toddler
Best FDA Fast 10 sec reading digital medical thermometer for oral, rectal, axillary armpit underarm body temperature Innovo Medical Digital Forehead and Ear Thermometer 2017 Model – Temperature and Fever Health Alert Clinical Digital Thermometer Best to Read & Monitor Fever Temperature in Quick 15 Seconds by Oral Rectal Underarm & Axillary